Editor and Moustache Lover

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Misspoken- Stuff on their Myspace page (20??)

Right out of the door, "You were there", the first tune on their page, just fucking knocks the door down, and I am immediately impressed, and almost just as quickly, they take a good thing, and slap a really obnoxious and melodramatic bridge in there. It's like when you see a pretty girl, and then she smiles, and it's all fucking knives and harpoons and shit.

The vocals on the first track are terrific. The guy sounds like the dude from Sundials. Unfortunately, it sounds as if the dude doing most of the vocals on the other track, who may or may not be the same guy, is more interested in doing his impression of every hardcore singer ever than doing something interesting.

After that the band is somewhere in between crack-rock-steady punk and early hardcore.

The drummer is not very good and pretty uninventive, the guitar drones on and on utilizing little more than un-muted power chords, and there is rarely a moment as cool as the first twenty seconds of the first track. It's pretty fucking drab after that.

I'd rather listen to Shai Hulud.

I am, however, curious about the lyrics, maybe I'll post about it again later.

2/5

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's also such a coincidence you compared my vocals to Harris from sundials, because we're pretty good friends in Richmond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. accidentally deleted my old comments, but i was the lead singer of this band and wrote all the lyrics when I was Sophomore/Junior in High School. I'm now a sophomore in college. We broke up this past summer. You Were There was our fan favorite by far, and I completely agree with this article, that bridge always bothered me. I play in a acoustic/emo duo now where I only sing. I left screaming behind after this, and for good reason. If you liked You Were There, I feel like it would be right up your alley. I sent the link to our band camp to your email, if you're vaguely interested.

    ReplyDelete