Editor and Moustache Lover

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Benevolent Order of Antelopes - EP (2011)




I'm really into this album, in spite of the fucking ridiculous name. I wouldn't have been surprised if this was some lame fucking shroom gobbling trance band or something. It is kind of funny, and I guess that it is easy to remember, but, really? You might as well call yourselves Beast Fellatio Extraordinaire or Monkey Sermon or something. Fucking weird.

It's like all of the annoying elements of Halo Benders were gone, or if Built to spill chilled the fuck out. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some owen cds laying around the house with this one.

It's really good. Mathy leads abound, with some steady strumming and almost too groovy basslines are a big part of this production.

I love the slightly countrified style here. Often, I am reminded of the Mountain goats, in terms of melody. Lyrically, there is little to warrant some kind of dick joke, since they are pretty solid; vagueness in content is utilized very well here, and luckily nothing stupid is ever thrown out there.

At times, I find some of the backup vocals to be a little obnoxious, and yeah, dude with the guitar, I totally get it that you can play indie leads, but that shit is like garlic salt, and if you just pile it on there, it can ruin the whole goddamn lasagna or whatever. It's not overdone, but you are fucking pushing it, buddy.

Expect some real cute twee, that is immediately charming and never abrasive or intrusive.

Additional instruments are implemented well, and the whole album is really solid the whole way through.

For fans of pavement, built to spill, halo-benders, kimya dawson, and all that other stuff, download this and you will not be sorry. Very nice. Very nice. Straight to the pod with this.

5/5 Do it, just do it.

Hope I didn't blow my load too soon with the five out of five. I'm going to have to really step it up a notch on the dream killing and insults if I am going to keep up my street cred.


Hey, it's hours later and this album is getting better and better. I am reminded often of Jets to Brazil, for some reason. It just keeps getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment